On this page
These are the resources recommended by TaxGPT.
Here are some links to help you file for free.
- Free tax clinics: get help filing your taxes for free if you have a simple tax situation and a modest income.
- Wealthsimple Tax: TaxGPT’s recommended online tax-filing product.
- How to File Taxes Online for Free in Canada: in-depth blog post on how to file your taxes for free.
- Free or pay-what-you-want tax software: all free tax-filing software in Canada approved by the CRA.
- File my Return automated phone service: auto-file over the phone for eligible filers.
Note that if you have moved in 2022, ensure you contact the Canada Revent Agency to change your address on file before to filing your return.
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is Canada’s tax agency. Here are some useful links:
- Who should file a return: understand when you need to file a tax return
- Free tax clinics: get help filing your taxes for free if you have a simple tax situation and a modest income
- Personal income tax: comprehensive information on individual tax filing. You can also “Chat with Charlie” on this page.
- CRA My Account: create a CRA account to see your tax information online, and make filing easier with online tax software.
Simple explanations of key concepts.
The Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) defines a ‘simple tax situation’ based on income sources. You most likely have a simple tax situation if your income comes from your job, your pension, government benefits, or investments under $1,000.
A simple tax situation is related to your sources of income, not the amount.
Canadians with a salary and RRSP contributions or income from government benefit programs usually have a simple tax scenario with fairly straightforward filing requirements. If this sounds like you, you should be able to file for free online.
Ask TaxGPT to get a rough idea.
Or, check the eligibility criteria on this Canada Revenue Agency webpage. You have to scroll down — look for the "eligibility criteria" text.
CVITP is a bad acronym but a good program. It is a national network of volunteers who file taxes for free for Canadians with a simple tax situation and a modest income. CVITP clinics accept walk-ins or virtual appointments you can do from your home.
CVITP’s eligibility criteria defines maximum income levels as well.
If you are interested, you can search for a CVITP clinic near you.
If you are going to a tax clinic, ensure you have all your information and ID with you. If you are missing any income slips, the volunteer should be able to retrieve them for you.
In Canada, you can use approved applications to file taxes yourself. Some tax filing apps are free while others charge a fee. If you currently pay to file your taxes online, or if you pay for someone to do your taxes in person, you can save money by filing your own taxes for free.
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) provides a list of software you can use to file your taxes for free. However, many of them try to upsell you: trying to get you to pay more for extra features or for someone to review your information.
I recommend Wealthsimple Tax, which is truly free.
If you have a CRA My Account, you can use Wealthsimple Tax to “auto-fill” your tax information from your T4. With a CRA Account, you can easily switch between different tax apps and bring your data with you.
Read “How to File Taxes Online for Free in Canada” to see more options, including Wealthsimple Tax.
Not seeing something here that you expected? Reach out to me at “paul [a] pcraig [dot] ca” and let me know.